All packed up and ready to leave for the airport and the flight cancellation crash lands into the inbox. So instead of staring miserably at the packed suitcases Mr SuffolkFoodie and I decided that a full English breakfast (£7.25 each) was the answer. Luckily the very well run cafe at Hillcrest Nursery is open on a Sunday and serves breakfast from 9am. Half English is also available.
- we may have been first in!
- a simple menu, very good scones from the counter too
- the breakfast was served with granary toast and butter
My worst nightmare on Valentine's Day is a meal out in a restaurant, crammed full of tables for two, with couples who have nothing to say to each other. So instead, if I'm in the mood, I'll cook something for Mr SuffolkFoodie from my repetoire of heart shaped meals.
- couer a la creme, a delicous cream cheese dessert (recipe on the blog)
- jammy heart biscuits (recipe on the blog)
- apple cobbler, with heart shaped cobbles, before it goes in the oven
- delicious hot baked apple cobbler, how to melt your Valentine's heart
- Butterflied rib eye steak for the carnivore
- tarted up couer a la creme, yes it can look like this
We went for a pizza which was delicious, but the Espresso Martini's at The LP in Bury St Edmunds are magnificient.
- Sophisticated, stimulating and strong. The perfect Espresso Martini.
- The Elton John (mozzarella, anchovies, capers, artichoke hearts and olives)
- Goats cheese and pancetta salad with a Stevie Wonder (Piri-piri chicken,chorizo, mixed peppers and Mozzarella}a
Superb seafood and freshly filled baguettes here at Brancaster Staithe. Crabs and lobsters are from the owner's own boat Speedwell that fishes out of the harbour. You don't get much fresher than that!
Suffolk's newest watering hole, the Tap Room at Star Wing Brewery will open its doors for the first time on Saturday 4th May with a weekend of celebrations, including live music from Mick the Baker, who also has a bakery on site. The opening of the Tap Room coincides with Star Wing's hop farm expansion. The hop farm is now 15 times its original size with a further 5 acres ready for planting. The Tap Room will open every Wednesday and Thursday 9am to 5pm, Friday and Saturday 9am to 11pm and Sunday 12pm till 10pm. There'll be Star Wing's core range of six craft ales as well as locally sourced cider and gin and of course bread from Mick.
Apparently there's a Golden Ticket hidden in one of the Mother's Day cards handed out to all Mums this Sunday at Giggling Squid branches across the country. (The Golden Ticket will be a £50 voucher to be used on a future visit). Tables still available for late lunch and supper in our Bury St Edmunds branch.
Popped into Folk at Fornham Business Court for breakfast on Monday and ordered a coffee and bacon sarnie from the all day breakfast menu (no egg though as they can't cook these after 10.30 am). This new cafe seems to have taken off as it was heaving with customers, all tables fully occupied and only a bar stool left for me to sit on. It's great to see a new, upcoming and young business doing well and serving high quality food and drink. Their website sensibly says 'we're on our way' and so opening times are limited at the moment to Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm. Just need to sort out that extra pan to cook the all day brekkie egg!
- great coffee
- tasty bacon sarnie
- pretty vintage tractor for the children to play on
- good all day menu
We told you eggs were trendy. Well here we have Eggslut, due to announce its first London location very soon. Signature dish is a coddled egg on top of smooth potato puree, poached in a glass jar, topped with gray salt and chives, served with slices of baguette. There's also scrambled eggs, chives, cheese and honey mustard aioli served in a warm brioche bun. Dunno what the vegans will eat ... weird name for a restaurant too.
Never has so much fun been had at a staff Christmas party. Cooking our own steaks at Cheers. Bury St Edmunds. 10 out of 10 for customer service and putting up with us. All you can eat and drink for £27.50 per person. Merry Christmas!
- thinly sliced and tender rump steak, as much as you can eat
- bread and olives arrive first... save room for steak
- no frills, jugs of wine and sangria from this Portuguese owned restaurant
- red hot stone replaced as required
We're liking the wine on tap and the bagnums at Weino Bib in Dalston. Drink in or take away or in our case do both. The Tap Room and Deli also sells fresh, raw milk. Take your bottles and fill them up.